Lieutenant Walter Tull was the first British-born black army officer and the first black officer to lead white British troops into battle.He fought on the Somme in 1916 and became the first black combat officer in the British army, despite a military rule excluding “negroes” from exercising actual command.
Walter Tull was a professional footballer, his playes for Clapton, First Division side Tottenham Hotspur and for Northampton Town. Established as one of the club’s best players. Tull would score nine goals in 110 games playing at half-back, earning considerable praise for his dynamic displays.
Helping to inform the world about Walter Tull
Welcome to WalterTull.org here you will find photos, videos, information about Walter Tull.
The website aims to inform, help generations recognise a true hero and be inspired by his story.
Founder Nick Marr
“Walter Tull is a true British hero who overcame prejudices of the time to exceed in his sporting career and his army life. He for me sums up everything that makes me so proud to be British"
The story serves as an inspiration to all but especially Britain's black, Asian and minority ethnic population.
Black heroes and stories of how minorities contributed to the Britsih way of life were written out of our history books. This has resulted in a lack of role models for all of us to appreciate. It's time to right some of those wrongs and move forward with positive role models from all communities.
This is an injustice to thousands of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice in both world wars and continue to do so right to this day
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
- Five Guys in Northampton: Official opening date for new fast food restaurant finally revealed
- Chester school pupils pay their respects during Armistice Day service | InYourArea Community
- Remembrance Day: Services take place across Newham
- WW1 tree tribute at Coventry's War Memorial Park - BBC News
- Wellingborough Remembrance Day parade returns to honour fallen | Northamptonshire Telegraph
- Chester school pupils lay Remembrance wreath at Cenotaph
- We Will Remember Them - attain.education
- Walter Tull: Black footballer and war hero remembered at Cenotaph - BBC News
- Birmingham EastEnders' star to remember Black British Army officer at Armistice Day ...
- Gallery: Rangers Face Ross County At Ibrox
- Team News: Starting XI For Bo'ness United Test | Rangers Football Club
- Former Rangers war hero posthumously receives distinguished induction
- McAllister Confirms No New Injury Concerns For Staggies | Rangers Football Club
- Kent Delighted To Be Able To Make An Impact | Rangers Football Club
- PRESS CONFERENCE | Steven Gerrard | 04 Nov 2021 - YouTube
Help to educate our kids about Walter Tull
There is a mini Scheme of Work (SoW) which is ideal for teaching about Walter Tull it can be used to build up for a Citizenship assessment or on its own.
It focuses on Walter Tull, Britain’s first ever black professional outfield football player and army officer. It grabs the interest of all the group but particularly boys.