Lieutenant Walter Tull was the first British-born black army officer and the first black officer to lead white British troops into battle.He fought on the Somme in 1916 and became the first black combat officer in the British army, despite a military rule excluding “negroes” from exercising actual command.
Walter Tull was a professional footballer, his playes for Clapton, First Division side Tottenham Hotspur and for Northampton Town. Established as one of the club’s best players. Tull would score nine goals in 110 games playing at half-back, earning considerable praise for his dynamic displays.
Helping to inform the world about Walter Tull
Welcome to WalterTull.org here you will find photos, videos, information about Walter Tull.
The website aims to inform, help generations recognise a true hero and be inspired by his story.
Founder Nick Marr
“Walter Tull is a true British hero who overcame prejudices of the time to exceed in his sporting career and his army life. He for me sums up everything that makes me so proud to be British"
The story serves as an inspiration to all but especially Britain's black, Asian and minority ethnic population.
Black heroes and stories of how minorities contributed to the Britsih way of life were written out of our history books. This has resulted in a lack of role models for all of us to appreciate. It's time to right some of those wrongs and move forward with positive role models from all communities.
This is an injustice to thousands of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice in both world wars and continue to do so right to this day
- West Ham United pioneers John Charles and Jack Leslie feature at Black History Month ...
- JAMES DALY MP: Hero's valour still recalled by residents 106 years on | Bury Times
- Orphaned football pioneer was British Army's first black officer and died a hero - The Mirror
- Black History Month: Black British heroes who deserve their own TV shows - Metro
- Black History Month: The first Black footballers who played for London clubs - MyLondon
- Inspirational Black footballers from forgotten heroes to England stars who beat the odds - The Mirror
- Black History Month: East London man who became Tottenham pro footballer, UK's first ...
- Old Northampton Frankie and Benny's being gutted ahead of much-anticipated Five Guys ...
- National takeaway chain submits plan to move into former iconic Northampton shop
- Football's Pioneers: Charles Burgess Fry - LCFC
- Five Guys plans for Northampton submitted as bosses eye up empty unit - Northants Live
- Plan submitted for new branch of popular fast food chain Five Guys to open in Northampton
- Manchester United unveil new Pre-Academy coaching team - Training Ground Guru
- Daventry man charged after 'Rambo-style' 15 inch knife seized by police in Northampton
- Marlowe Theatre sells famous faces with Kent connections | InYourArea Community
Help to educate our kids about Walter Tull
There is a mini Scheme of Work (SoW) which is ideal for teaching about Walter Tull it can be used to build up for a Citizenship assessment or on its own.
It focuses on Walter Tull, Britain’s first ever black professional outfield football player and army officer. It grabs the interest of all the group but particularly boys.