Lieutenant Walter Tull was the first British-born black army officer and the first black officer to lead white British troops into battle.He fought on the Somme in 1916 and became the first black combat officer in the British army, despite a military rule excluding “negroes” from exercising actual command.
Walter Tull was a professional footballer, his playes for Clapton, First Division side Tottenham Hotspur and for Northampton Town. Established as one of the club’s best players. Tull would score nine goals in 110 games playing at half-back, earning considerable praise for his dynamic displays.
Helping to inform the world about Walter Tull
Welcome to WalterTull.org here you will find photos, videos, information about Walter Tull.
The website aims to inform, help generations recognise a true hero and be inspired by his story.
Founder Nick Marr
“Walter Tull is a true British hero who overcame prejudices of the time to exceed in his sporting career and his army life. He for me sums up everything that makes me so proud to be British"
The story serves as an inspiration to all but especially Britain's black, Asian and minority ethnic population.
Black heroes and stories of how minorities contributed to the Britsih way of life were written out of our history books. This has resulted in a lack of role models for all of us to appreciate. It's time to right some of those wrongs and move forward with positive role models from all communities.
This is an injustice to thousands of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice in both world wars and continue to do so right to this day
- 2 PARA win chaotic Infantry Cup final - Forces.net
- Woman fined after dumping fireworks at Northampton zebra crossing - Northants Live
- Attack at popular Northampton pub leaves man with broken nose - Northants Live
- Police plea to identify two caught on camera after Northampton pub fight
- CCTV appeal: Assault in at Walter Tull Pub, Northampton | Northamptonshire Police
- Popular £1.50 funfair returns to Northampton for the Easter school holidays - here's when it is open
- THE WALTER TULL MEDAL MURAL ADDED TO STADIUM RECEPTION AREA - Northampton Town
- Witness appeal following assault at Northampton Circus | Northamptonshire Police
- Deal agreed for Sixfields Stadium land which could see Northampton Town's East Stand ...
- 100 PAGE SOUVENIR MATCH PROGRAMME PRODUCED FOR TRANMERE FIXTURE ...
- Why we should study Black History in UK schools - Gabriella Berkeley-Agyepong, St Philomenas
- RACHEL McGRATH COLUMN: Plaques honour our heritage | Northampton Chronicle and Echo
- Northampton Town's East Stand set for completion despite last-minute bid - Northants Live
- Northampton Town: Cobblers podcast wins supporters association award - BBC News
- The worst McDonald's and KFCs in Northamptonshire according to TripAdvisor reviews ...
Help to educate our kids about Walter Tull
There is a mini Scheme of Work (SoW) which is ideal for teaching about Walter Tull it can be used to build up for a Citizenship assessment or on its own.
It focuses on Walter Tull, Britain’s first ever black professional outfield football player and army officer. It grabs the interest of all the group but particularly boys.