Lieutenant Walter Tull was the first British-born black army officer and the first black officer to lead white British troops into battle.He fought on the Somme in 1916 and became the first black combat officer in the British army, despite a military rule excluding “negroes” from exercising actual command.
Walter Tull was a professional footballer, his playes for Clapton, First Division side Tottenham Hotspur and for Northampton Town. Established as one of the club’s best players. Tull would score nine goals in 110 games playing at half-back, earning considerable praise for his dynamic displays.
Helping to inform the world about Walter Tull
Welcome to WalterTull.org here you will find photos, videos, information about Walter Tull.
The website aims to inform, help generations recognise a true hero and be inspired by his story.
Founder Nick Marr
“Walter Tull is a true British hero who overcame prejudices of the time to exceed in his sporting career and his army life. He for me sums up everything that makes me so proud to be British"
The story serves as an inspiration to all but especially Britain's black, Asian and minority ethnic population.
Black heroes and stories of how minorities contributed to the Britsih way of life were written out of our history books. This has resulted in a lack of role models for all of us to appreciate. It's time to right some of those wrongs and move forward with positive role models from all communities.
This is an injustice to thousands of soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice in both world wars and continue to do so right to this day
- Plaque for first black officer - who fought in Royal Warwickshire Regiment - rewrites history of First ...
- Residents invited to submit inclusive names for Hackney's roads, buildings and public spaces
- It has emerged that this Jamaican-born man – not Walter Tull – was Britain's first Black army officer
- Memorial plaque from Eastbourne soldier sells for more than £10000
- Warwick army museum buys World War One soldier plaque
- WWI memorial plaque that rewrites black history will now be coming to its 'spiritual home' in ...
- Touching story behind the mural that appeared on the busy street of Liverpool.
- Museum buys memorial plaque of Great War's 'first black officer'
- Poignant story behind the mural that has appeared on busy Liverpool road
- Did You Know Jamaican-Born Lt. Euan Lucie-Smith was the First British Black Officer
- How you can help a Warwick museum bring a unique plaque to a remarkable soldier who rewrote ...
- Historian uncovers clues to final resting place of historic Northampton hero Walter Tull
- Rangers fans group in touching tributes to fallen footballer soldiers of WWI
- New Evidence of Grave of Britain's First Black Officer Has Been Found
- EbeneMagazine – GB – Why I will forever salute Walter Tull and the ranks of true football heroes
Help to educate our kids about Walter Tull
There is a mini Scheme of Work (SoW) which is ideal for teaching about Walter Tull it can be used to build up for a Citizenship assessment or on its own.
It focuses on Walter Tull, Britain’s first ever black professional outfield football player and army officer. It grabs the interest of all the group but particularly boys.